Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Day 3

Day 10/27/08


The children were learning about the Olympics today. Some students knew there was a summer and winter Olympic. They also knew that it only occurred every four years. The students made a list of events that included:

Summer:
gymnastics
swimming (Michael Phelps)
Tae Kwon Do
Soccer
Track & Field
Volleyball
Basketball
Tennis
Winter:
Hockey
Ice Skating
Skiing
Cycling

The students also had vocabulary words they needed to learn for their test on Friday.
Ancient
Host
Stadium
Compete
Earned
Record
Ceremonies
Medals

For the most part, the students knew the meaning of these words, however I did notice that they had trouble on host and stadium. When Mrs. Kavadias would ask a question, she would ask it in more than one way. For example “Can anyone tell me how many years will go by before the next Olympic happens again?” Another way would be “Okay so your saying, that the Olympics happens every 3 years” and this would the students say no and correct her.

Today they also learned about “Elements of Non-Fiction”. This included the Topic, subtopic, details and pictures with words. The children were taught that all non-fiction writing is set up in the same way. First the topic, second the subtopic, third the details and then finally the pictures. I found that the students had a little trouble with this concept. They were unsure where to locate this information. They knew that the writing had a title and subtitle, but was confused with all the details.

Today I also learned that I was being teamed up with Timothy. I am still unsure as to what is IEP is for, but I did find out some other information. Timothy’s mother is illiterate and can not give him any academic support at home. Mr. Woodward and Mrs. Kavadias do not send homework home because they know it will not be returned. Timothy is a bright student and willing to learn, he just needs that one-on-one time. I cant wait to see what happens with him!

No comments: